Employers and Occupational Health Nurses know that absenteeism is costly because it directly affects the productivity and culture of the workplace. Disability Management is a systematic and active strategy to reduce absenteeism. Using the knowledge, experience and principles of disability management best practices, OHNs can develop and implement the required policies and procedures.
- Ensure early and safe return to work following injury and/or illness ensuring optimal medical function
- Establish a disability management program that may include:
- Policies and procedures to assist in managing job suitability with potential task modifications
- Worker and/or workplace accommodation
- Modified work programs
- Manager, supervisor, employee and union training on the process and benefit of return to work
- Workplace trends and cost monitoring
Benefits to Employers
- Reduction of WSIB premiums and prevention of penalties
- Improvement in co-operation among employer, employee and union
- Legislation (for example Human Rights, Workplace Safety Insurance Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act).